While you may not have time to see all of these sights on your first time to Washington, D.C., most of the following should be on your must-see list.
- US Capitol
- US Supreme Court :: Free lecture on the half hour.
- Library of Congress :: Public tour available.
- National Archives
Monuments and Memorials
These are all open to the public 24 hours a day; when lit at night they are spectacular.
- Vietnam Memorial
- Korean War Memorial
- FDR Memorial
- Jefferson Memorial
- Lincoln Memorial
- Washington Monument
- World War II Monument
The Smithsonian Institution
All Smithsonian museums have free admission. Here are 5 of the 15 Smithsonian museums, which includes the zoo.
- National Air and Space Museum
- National Museum of Natural History
- National Museum of American History
- National Museum of the American Indian
- National Zoological Park
Other Popular Attractions
- National Gallery of Art
- Holocaust Museum :: Advance tickets recommended.
- Arlington Cemetery :: Option of paid shuttle tour.
- Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- Washington National Cathedral :: Tours available
- Mt. Vernon*
- College Park Aviation Museum* :: Local museum